Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Secret Notes ... A Bond Between Mother and Child



While browsing Pinterest a few months ago I stumbled up on this cute idea from Mama Jenn, a notebook to share messages with your child.

This past Valentine's Day I made two little notebooks for my daughters with little "Mommy & Me" labels.  I wrote a sweet note in each one and left them on their beds.  That night I found the two notebooks on my bed, each with a sweet note.  And we have gone back and forth that way every once in a while.

Then the other night I got a note from my 6 year old.  It said "Thank you so much for believing I was a cat."  And it really touched my heart.  It was such a minor thing in my day that I threw a cat toy for her to chase and reminded her to use the litter box before heading to bed.  But it clearly meant a lot to her and I might have never known.  I love that it is a great place to capture the little sweetnesses of life that might never come up in conversation but pop in our minds when we are quite.

My older daughter is very closed about her feelings and I have already seen that she opens up a lot more on paper than she does in conversation.  So I love that this can be a vehicle for us to share things in a way that feels safe for her.

I love this idea because there is no pressure to do it on a consistent basis.  There is no pressure to write a note right back or to do it every day.

And I love that they can keep these little books forever and look back on them when they are no longer little and remember how special they always were to me.

YOUR TURN
Create a special way to help you and your child share your thoughts and emotions.  A notebook, love letters,  a nightly dinner topic, a shared drawing.  Whatever works best for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment