Monday, April 22, 2013

Oh, Bento Box ... My Lunch Salvation


Since I started went back to work my lunch has gone completely to hell.

I went from coming home after preschool pickup to make some kale and white beans with fresh baked bread and fruit salad to running out the door to elementary school drop off and work without anything in my bag but an apple and Altoids.  Which meant that by sometime between 12PM and 3PM I was fainting and grabbing something from the French bakery next door.

One of my goals this year was to make more time for making lunch.  And a few weeks ago I found my salvation.  The Bento box.

It is not like the Bento box is a new addition to my family.  My kids have been using them since they started having lunch at school.  But I never thought to use one myself.

Introducing myself to the Bento box has bees enabled me to start eating a healthy lunch again because I throw it on the table while I am making breakfast and kids lunches and I just throw little bits of healthy things inside without even thinking.  Because it is not like making a meal, it is like emptying things without a bit of thought.  Gave the kids pineaple for breakfast?  Great throw some in the fruit container.  A few bits of leftover chicken from dinner?  Throw them in a container.  Cut up a pepper and throw it in a section.  Hmm?  Missing something crunchy, well there is a handful of Pirate's Booty left in the snack canister.  Done.

Finally, lunch makes me happy again!

YOUR TURN
Give a Bento box a whirl!  Not sure you want to invest?  Then make your own with a lunchbox and some small plastic or metal containers.

No comments:

Post a Comment