Monday, August 6, 2018

Listen to the Advice of Your Inner Self

Over the past decade I have spent a lot of time tapping into my intuition.
Why?
Well, because I believe that my inner self (or soul or spirit or ...) knows what will be of the greatest benefit to me.  My inner self wants me to become the greatest version of myself.
So, obviously, I would like to listen to the advice of my inner self, i.e. my intuition.
The basics of tapping into your intuition are quieting your mind so that you can hear your inner self and then trusting what you hear enough to act upon the advice.



I have found that it is easiest to work backwards and start immediately acting upon the things that I hear.  Things that are easy and non-emotional.  
Like flossing my teeth.
Every once in a while I am in the bathroom about to brush my teeth and the thought pops into my mind.  "Floss" says my inner self.   So I don't question, I just do.
If you pay even the slightest bit of attention you will notice that you hear these little easy and non-emotional bits of advice as well.  "Buy chicken."  "Take an umbrella." "Wear the red one."
These things are easy to follow.  You can't imagine some horrible downside to doing them or ignoring them.
But you will begin to see that they tend to help you out.
You might even want to start a journal to help yourself notice how they did.  Sometimes it takes some time or sometime it sets off a chain of events.  Your journal will help you spot these instances. But sometimes you just never catch the meaning, and that is okay too.  

Once you get comfortable listening and trusting, try trusting the harder and more emotional things.  Like then your inner self advises "Leave now." "Take the longer route." "Throw that away."
These are harder because you fear they will be the "wrong" decision.  You are afraid you will offend, or miss out, or be late, or make a mistake.
Work up to these.  I will admit they are hard.

And during this whole process, learn some techniques for quieting your mind.  
Try meditation.  Or just take a few minutes a day, or a few times a day, to sit quietly.  Set a reminder on your phone to stop and take a few breaths.
It will really help your ability to hear your inner self.

If you are interested in going deeper, my very favorite intuition teacher is Sonia Choquette.   Her books and podcasts and workshops have all been immensely helpful in helping me slow down and listen to my inner self.  She provides great stories and exercises that really illustrate the benefits of tapping into your intuition and show you how simple it can be.


No comments:

Post a Comment