Tuesday, October 14, 2014

A $25 Christmas ... Wrapping Up Cleverness and Creativity



My husband and I have agreed, for the last few years, to only spend $25 on each other for Christmas.

We started this because we just didn't want any more "stuff".  If we really need something, we buy it.  And we have been trying to eliminate collecting any more things that we don't need so buying some expensive gift just to put something under the tree was not something I wanted to do anymore.

But there is something so sad about just agreeing to not exchange holiday gifts so that was not going to work for me either.   I feel like one of the most special things about the holidays is spending time to think about the people you care about in your life and given them a little token that says "I am thinking of you".

  So I set an seemingly ridiculous limit for my husband and I.  $25.  It forced us to listen to each other closely for ideas and then be really creative with purchases and crafts.  It forced us to think ahead and always be on the lookout for something just perfect to add to our collection of gifts.

Last year I went with a Zen theme.  I got a book book on Zen doodling using a 40% off coupon.  I made a Zen garden using a bowl we hadn't used in years and an afternoon on the beach collecting pebbles and sand.  I ran across a little wire Buddhist monk on the sale shelf at a local store.  I made a peaceful piece of art.  And I found a few books on meditation on Bookmooch.  It was such much fun coming up with the idea and then searching and creating.  It was my very favorite part of Christmas last year!

I have already started on my plan for this year!
I challenge you to give it a try yourself!