Friday, November 7, 2014

Try on Something New... Even If You Are Afraid It Won't Fit


One of the best things about being a kid is being able to try on all sorts of new things to find out what fits you.  You have classes in school and activities your parents plan and playdates with friends and stories your grandparents tell and visits to the library.  You are constantly exposed to new things that you can try on and see how they fit.

As adults I find we already have our pile of things that fit and we don't often try new things on.  In fact we often look at new things and filter them out as "not our size" because they didn't fit in the past or because we think our closet is too full.

So I have decided that once a month I am going to try on something new.  Something that didn't fit in the past or something I have been afraid to try on because I can't imagine it fits.

This month is going to be Thai cooking.  I love Thai food and I love cooking.  But I have never been great with working with Asian flavors and I have had more than a few fails at the dinner table.  I have more than once uttered "I can't cook Asian food."  Well, I'm going to try it on this month.  I am going to invest some effort to really understand the flavors and techniques and I am going to respect that it might not all come to me right away.  But I am going to put on that something new and even if it is a little uncomfortable at first I am going to wear it until I can really make a decision about it and then figure out if it is something I can put in my closet.

Go ahead and try on something new!  You never know, it might just be your new favorite!