Monday, February 10, 2014

A Chakra Primer ... The Energy of Your Being


I pay a lot of attention to my chakras.

What are chakras, you ask?  Well, they are the energy centers of your body.

When energy is flowing freely through them, everything is wonderful.  You feel great and you can pour lots of positive energy out into the world.
When energy is not balanced in a chakra, you experience behavioral, physical difficulties and addictions in the parts of your life or body that are energized by that chakra.

THE 7 CHAKRAS
Your ROOT chakra deals with security.  This chakra is located at the base of your spine.
Your SACRAL chakra deals with passion.  This chakra is located about 2 inches below your naval.
Your SOLAR PLEXUS chakra deals with inner strength.  This chakra is located in the upper abdomen.
Your HEART chakra deals with love.  This chakra is located just above your heart.
Your THROAT chakra deals with communication.  This chakra is located at your throat.
Your BROW chakra deals with intuition and thinking.  This chakra is located at the third eye.
Your CROWN chakra deals with spirituality.  This chakra is located at the top of your head.

FREELY FLOWING ENERGY
When energy is flowing freely through a chakra, it is balanced.  A balanced chakra helps you  be free of behavioral challenges, physical ailments and addictions.

A balanced ROOT brings makes you feel safe.  You are secure and grounded and unwavering
A balanced SACRAL allows you to feel joy in what you do.  You are luscious and passionate and creative and you do it all for yourself, from your soul. 
A balanced SOLAR PLEXUS makes you strong.  You are true to yourself and feel great self worth.
A balanced HEART makes you compassionate.  You accept and appreciate others and their own personal journeys.
A balanced THROAT makes you authentic.  You use kind words and truthful.
A balanced BROW makes you insightful.  You combine logic and intuition.
A balanced CROWN makes you free.

I bet you can think of a few people who seem to have very balanced chakras.  Those people who are confident and kind and who find great joy in every moment of life.  You can feel their energy just radiating out of them and can't help but smile!


AN UNBALANCED CHAKRA
Sadly, most of us have a few chakras that don't have a free flow of energy.  The energy in a chakra may become unbalanced when you are holding on to negativity in the chakra and are not expressing its full positive potential.   You may have carried this negativity from a past life or developed it during your childhood and it could be the result of a trauma.  I think about a blocked chakra as being one that you are trying to protect from anyone taking whatever positive energy you have and an overactive chakra as being one that you are craving positive energy from others.

To determine which of your chakras are blocked, please read Signs of an Unbalanced Chakra.

I truly feel that the only way to balance your chakra is to release this negativity.  When you can forgive yourself or another person for injuring you (physically, mentally or emotionally) and you can replace the negative belief or anger you acquired with a new positive affirmation, your chakra will balance and your behavioral challenges, physical ailments and cravings will dissolve.  When you can let go of protecting yourself or craving for someone else to complete you and can generate your own positive energy you will achieve this state.  This article on healing your chakras gives a really thorough explanation!

To get started on releasing this negativity, I ask myself how I have been hurt.
If my ROOT is unbalanced, how did a disaster make me fear for my security?
If my SACRAL is unbalanced, how did being judged for something I created cause me to fear sharing my passion?
If my SOLAR PLEXUS is unbalanced, how was I hurt by being myself or true to myself?
If my HEART is unbalanced, how was I hurt by allowing someone to do it their way instead of mine?
If my THROAT is unbalanced, how was I hurt by speaking the truth?
If my BROW is unbalanced, how was I hurt my making a mistake?

Keep in mind that if you are dealing with significant challenges, ailments and cravings, you are going to have to dig dip.  Probably over a long period of time. Probably through more than one negative experience.  You might even need help from someone other than yourself.  But once you know where your block is, you can really focus your energy on healing in the right place.

While you are doing this work to eliminate the negativity, you can help fill your chakra with the positive ...eating certain foods, wearing certain colors, crystals, activities, and yoga poses.  I have Pinterest boards where I collect things that help me support each chakra.   


MORE INFORMATION ON CHAKRAS
This is my take on how chakras work but I am by no means an authority!!!!  I have just worked with them long enough to have developed my own idea of how they work and how I can use them as a positive resource on my journey.
To learn more about chakras and how they work, here are some great resources.

Chakra Energy
About.com Holistic Healing
The Chakra Bible
A Children's Guide to Chakras