Monday, February 24, 2014

Tote Bags ... A Sewing Project Short on Frustration and Big on Creativity


I mostly limit my sewing to making bags. 
 Because my sewing skills pretty much end with 3rd grade home economics.

But just because I make the same shape over and over again, doesn't mean I have to make the same bag!
I whipped up these two dance bags for my daughters in a few hours using fabric scraps, old pillow cases, outgrown pajama pants, glitter and rhinestones.

The whole adventure starts with a good tutorial for making a tote bag.  You can make this bag any size and with pretty much any material.

For this fancy tote, I choose a sparkly outer fabric leftover from a mermaid costume and for the inside I used some jersey that I had bought to make a dress.  I then drew my daughter's initial on the front of the bag and glued on tiny rhinestones around the outline and then filled it with glitter.


This little owl bag is made from a pillow case and an old shawl and I think some fabric that used to be my pajama bottoms!  I simply made the tote and the cut out the eyes, beak and wings and hand-stitched them on to the front of the bag.

I love that I have found a sewing project that doesn't frustrate my limited skill level and still allows for lots of creativity!  I can't wait to play around with some other fun tote bag inspirations!