Saturday, February 15, 2014

"I Prefer" ... Tell Me What You Love, Not What You Hate


I have introduced the words "I prefer" to my children.  
And I am loving hearing them because they help me understand what my children want without making my hair stand on end!

You see, my almost 10 year old daughter entered a stage a few months ago where she looks at whatever food I have placed on the table and finds fault with it.  It is something she has never seen before.  YUCK!  It is a piece of produce with a slight imperfection.  EWWW!  It is touching!  I CAN'T EAT THIS!

I have never been and never will be a short-order cook in my own house.  From the time they could chew my children have eaten exactly what my husband and I eat.  Because I want them to be open to all foods and I want them to be able to eat places without me.  I expect one bite of everything and I expect my children to manage their own plates to make the meal I served make them happy.  I don't mind that my tomato-hater picks out the tomatoes but I am not doing it for her. 

But while these rules of eating are being followed I can not stand when my daughter arrives at the table armed with complaints before a piece of food has entered her mouth.

So I have asked her to address any complaints in the form of "I prefer".  I would prefer if we could take the skin off these apples.  I would prefer if this ham and cheese on my plate was in the form of a sandwich.  I would prefer to have grapes instead of raspberries.

I like this for many reasons.  I like it because I don't feel attacked.  And I like it because I feel like it is helping her to actually understand and communicate what she doesn't like about something.  And I like that it is helping her focus on love, not fear.  And I like that she is learning that when you ask for something nicely and with good reason, people are willing to work with you.  Sometimes I can happily give her what she prefers.  I don't mind swapping a fruit or cutting the crust off the bread.  And sometimes I can't and we talk about why so that she knows I understand her concerns.  But in all cases, eating together has become enjoyable again!

I have also extended "I prefer" to other areas of our lives like homework and clothes and anything else that causes that grumpy 10 year old face!