Thursday, March 27, 2014

Space Clearing ... Uplifting the Energy in Your Home


I can remember "spring cleaning" as one of my earliest memories. Perhaps because it was a family affair whereas weekly cleaning was something my mom did while we were at school or outside playing. But since it is one of those special childhood memories, it is a tradition I have kept up with my own home and family. But I have added the tradition of space clearing.

Space clearing is basically revitalizing the energy of a space through a ritual.

I learned about space clearing in the book Sacred Space: Clearing and Enhancing the Energy of Your Home by Denise Linn. And from the book I developed my own ritual for space clearing my home after I have finished my spring cleaning.

I set an intention for the year for my home and those who dwell in it.
I assemble a tray of items I will use to clear the energy in each room ... salt (or a flower or herbs) for Earth, water mixed with essential oils for Water, candles (or incense) for Light and a bell for Air.
Then I move from room to room with my tray and in each room I leave a little glass of salt, light candle, mist the room and ring the bell. Then I ask for the energy of the room to be clean and positive.
A while later I blow out the candles. And a week or so later, I remove the salt.

The ritual is quite simple and when I have finished I have such a lovely feeling in my home! But I am a firm believer that you are free to create your own ritual, the important thing is that you are expressing your intention to have positive energy flowing through your home.

(I also repeat the ritual throughout the year if there has been significant negativity or illness in a particular room or the house.)