Thursday, January 17, 2013

Focusing On The Day ... Air, Water, Earth, Light


Every morning I wake up and look out the front door.

And I observe the air, the water, the earth and the light.  Is there a breeze?  What are the waves like?  Is the grass dewy?  Is the sun peeking through the trees?  I almost write a poem in my head.

When I first started doing this mindfullness exercise each morning I thought that this must be how observant great writers are all the time because of the way they are able to describe a setting to the most tiny detail.  I liked being about to get that intimate with my environment and that focused on the present moment.

YOUR TURN
Wake up tomorrow and look out the window.  What is the air doing?  How does the water look?  What is happening with the earth?  What about the light?

Now do it again tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Really neat exercise. I'm ashamed to say my morning routine has become a little lazy, a little blurry. I usually crash into wall corners on my way to the coffeemaker. Might do me some good to slow down and notice what's around me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea. All these little things we take for granted - but are really quite amazing. Thanks for reminding me to slow down and be more mindful if the simple things that make our world!

    ReplyDelete