Saturday, May 18, 2013

Do You Really Know What You Want to Do?... Replacing "Should" with "Could"


Remember when I asked you what could make you happier at this very moment?  Have you been asking yourself?  Have you been making yourself happier?  Are you ready to take it to the next level?

Good.  Then erase the word "should" from your vocabulary and replace it with the word "could". ( I read this in "Soul Coaching" by Denise Linn last week and I just love it!)

I was looking at the definitions of the words and ran across this on some website... Should expresses what the speaker feels is morally right or most expedient for the situation.  Could is a good choice for offering ideas to someone else who will be the decision maker.

So, when you use the word "should" you are putting all of your habits, filters and limiting beliefs on the situation.  You are being driven by the fear of the consequences.  I should fold the laundry before I go to bed... because if I don't my kids will be mad that their favorite outfit is not ready for school, because if I don't my husband will wonder what I do all day, because if I don't my house will look cluttered.

But when you use the word could you are allowing yourself to look at the options and decide what feels right in the moment.  I could fold the laundry before I go to bed..... and I will because I am not that tired and that will give me an extra 10 minutes in the morning which will make me really happy or I won't because I am really tired and I would be happier to be asleep right now.

Do you see how should is filled with fear and could is filled with love?  A useful little trick, isn't it?

YOUR TURN
Every time you use the word should today, immediately replace it with could.  You might make yourself a reminder like an index card or putting the words on the home screen of your phone.

When you use could. do you feel happier?  Even if the outcome is the same as if you had used should?


No comments:

Post a Comment