Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Chocolate Bark .. My Not-So-Guilty Pleasure


I have discovered the joy of bark.

A cleanse I did at the beginning of the year and for a little treat it allowed a bittersweet chocolate bark.   It was light on sugar and heavy on nuts and dried fruit.  And I found that just a tiny bit was enough to give me a chocolate fix if I needed.

The bark is now a staple in my house.  I love that I can add in any nuts, seeds or fruit that I want so I can adjust it based on desire or convenience.  I love that it take 2 minutes to make.

Melt bittersweet chocolate int he microwave in 30 second intervals until almost completely melted.  Then stir to melt entirely.

Pour the chocolate onto a sheetpan lined with plastic wrap or parchment and spread until fairly thin.

Sprinkle on your choice of nuts, seeds and/or dried fruit.  I also like to add a bit of sea salt or crushed peppercorns and sometimes even some herbs.  This bark was sunflower seeds, dried cranberries and black sea salt.  But my favorite is almond and coconut!

Let the bark chill in the fridge until hard and then break into pieces and store in an airtight container.