Thursday, January 9, 2014

Word of the Year ... A Reminder of What You Want to Be


Every year I pick a word that I want to embody for the upcoming year.

I spend some time thinking about what I want to tackle this year.  I look at where the stars are providing me opportunities and lessons.  I take note of images and articles that catch my eye.   And from that there is always a word that keeps coming back to me.

This year it was "gypsy".  
Past years have been "energy flow", "trust", "soul". 

I even pick words for my daughters each year. 

I take my word and I do something with it to serve as a reminder everyday.  I tattoed "trust" on my arm.  I put "sparkle" on my daughter's bedroom wall.  My other daughter has a favorite tshirt that says "unique"  This year I made myself a piece of art and I bought myself a pair of earrings.  You might make it the wallpaper on your phone or put it on a keychain or paint it on your kitchen wall or write it on your hand every day.

Sometimes I flesh out the word to really understand what it means to me, but what is really important is not the definition but the feeling that it invokes in you.  Because every day, many times a day I check in with myself to see if I am living my word.  Especially on those days that are dragging me down.  It is a real quick way to remind yourself of what is truly important to you right now.