Thursday, November 21, 2013

I Am In Print! ... A Cake in Contemporary Bride Magazine


I am so excited!  I have not one, but two cakes in a REAL PRINT  magazine!

Over the summer I was asked to submit some cakes for the fall/winter edition of Contemporary Bride magazine.  With only a few days notice.  Here is what I made!

The first cake I knew I had to design around this flower I had made a few days before.  It was an orange flower with gold edging so I knew I wanted to bring some gold in to the cake but I wanted most of the cake to be simple and white to really let the flower stand out.  I created a few brooches out of gumpaste and finished them in a vintage gold and realized they had the look of old jewelry and gee, wouldn't they go great with pearls.  So I decided to cover the middle tier of the cake with pearls and throw in a few of the gold brooches.  While it took HOURS to get all of those pearls adhered, it was really worth it.  I love how the whole cake came together in this vintage jewelry, Great Gatsby sort of way.


I knew I wanted the second cake to have a softer feel to it and I wanted each of the tiers to be different.  I started with the bottom tier covered in simple white ruffles.  The second tier I embossed in a lace pattern and then dusted with a bronze powder.  Which actually got sort of blotchy in places.  So I rubbed and dusted and rubbed some more to achieve a very weathered, vintage look.  The top tier was roughly painted with a dusty rose coloring.  The flower is sort of a fantasy peony.  I wanted it to be a peony but I also wanted it to have the feel of an old silk flower you would find on grandma's hat.  I thought that went better with the thee of the cake than a fresher looking flower.


I must give a huge thank you to my friend and photographer Brandi of Brandi Grooms Photography who not only takes beautiful photos for me but is always ready with her camera when I call her up on these last minute adventures!

If you would like to check out the entire article, it is on pages 115 through 119 of the Fall/Winter 2013 Issue of Contemporary Bride.  




No comments:

Post a Comment