Sunday, November 24, 2013

Zen Painting ... An Exploration Into Alcohol Ink



I found a few vials of alcohol ink the other day while cleaning out my craft closet.  I had bought them for making Christmas presents a few years back and there were only a few drops left in each.  I decided they deserved to be used up.  So of course I went to Pinterest.

I fell in love with those little vials all over again as I looked at all of the colorful, beautiful projects.  But I fell hardest for one particular painting.  So I decided I would make a painting for my husband as part of his Christmas gift this year.  The whole theme for his gift is "zen" this year and since painting with alcohol inks is so very meditative I felt like it fit the theme.

I grabbed a blank canvas and the bottle of ink and spread out on the kitchen table.  A bouquet of flowers was my plan.  I picked my first color and let a drop of ink fall onto the canvas.  I watched it spread out following it's own free will.  I made other drops.., some with more ink and some with less.  I put a drop of another color into the center of each and watched them merge together and spread out.  I noticed that the drop in the center acted very differently depending on how dry the color underneath had become.  I removed color with a paper towel in some areas revealing a subtle rainbow like you find in an oil slick.  I watched and experimented until I felt done.

A perfectly zen painting experience!



No comments:

Post a Comment