Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Creative Challenge of Using Leftover Craft Materials ... A Pretty Necklace



I cleaned out my craft closet yesterday.  I pulled out all of the paper goods I have been hording and put them in the kids craft area because I will never use up all that paper and all of those alphabet stickers in my lifetime.  I tore apart of the unopened cross-stitch kits from my 1980's "country" phase and saved the fabric and needles and floss for projects I might actually want to do.  I made giveaway piles of unopened little materials that no longer hold my interest.   Everything had a use, a place or a new home.

Except for a huge box of crystal beads that has been sitting around since I realized I really don't enjoy making jewelry as much as I enjoy buying it off of Etsy.  I decided that they were the perfect inspiration for a crazy art project.  

My rule to myself was that I had to use them all!  But after that there was no plan.  Which worked out great because after the first string or two I questioned what the heck I was doing and I wondered if it was going to turn out to be a wearable piece of jewelry or a piece of crap.  But I put those thoughts aside and just kept stringing because I needed to use all of the beads, no matter what!  

It was really very meditative to string all of those beads.  It was about a full 3 hours that I was alone with my beads and my thoughts.  It was nice.

And I think my resulting jewelry piece is nice as well!  Very earthy.

I liked this challenge of needing to create with an entire box of materials.  I think I will have to do it again soon.  Maybe with those 6 rolls of duct tape....




No comments:

Post a Comment