Monday, December 16, 2013

5 Senses Meditation ... Checking In With Myself

I added a new practice to my Sadhana.  I reflect on my 5 senses.

For many years I have reflected on the 4 elements every day... air, water, earth and light... and I have found it to be an amazing experience.  I had no idea that I could be so observant and how what I observed in nature could change so drastically from day to day or location to location.  I have often thought of capturing it all in a piece of daily pottery.  Hmmm, maybe something for the new year...

Anyway, I somehow decided it would be a great idea to do the same thing with my 5 senses because I could observe myself!  (I think I read it somewhere but I just can't recall!)  

I did it for the first time today and it went something like this...
Sight.  My eyes feel dry.  I would love some eye drops.
Taste.  I am really thirsty.
Touch.  My hands feel dry and could use some lotion.
Smell.  I can't smell.  My nose is stuffed up.
Sound.  I hear the dehumidifier humming in the basement.  I guess it is stealing the last bit of moisture out of the air.

I hadn't realized until that moment that I was feeling really dry!  It was a level of awareness of my physical being that I am not sure I have ever achieved.

I wonder how I will feel tomorrow!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment