Friday, December 13, 2013

I Believe ... Because Santa is Magical and Magical Makes You Happy



I want to believe in Santa Claus again.

When my children were little is was so easy to be swept up in the magic of Santa.  They believed, so I almost did.  I talked about him like he was a real person, I got so excited in the days leading up to his arrival, I helped write letters and bake cookies.  

But now my kids are 7 and 9 and I think we are in our last year of believing.  They are still "all in" but I can tell there is this little glimmer of a question in their mind.  They already know that the men in the furry red suits you find at the tree farm and coming around town in the sled are not really Santa.  And I actually find myself trying to downplay Santa a bit and leaving their gifts in plain sight because I almost want to feed that question in their mind so that they are not crushed when they find out that there really is not Santa Claus.  Like I was.  In 2nd grade.  From my best friend. While making peanut butter Christmas cookies at an after school party.

Since I know that my days are numbered until my kids find out that Santa is not coming down the chimney and  delivering all of the gifts, I really want to find a way to go back to those days of believing in Santa so the Christmas doesn't lose all it's magic and excitement.  When I think back to the most magical days, it was when they were very little.  The excitement was not about the presents, it was about the man.    It was about the idea that there was this special person who knew all about you and cared about your hopes and dreams and loved you unconditionally and was genuinely jolly all the time.

So maybe, couldn't I JUST BELIEVE?  Couldn't I believe that there is this kindly old fellow up in the North Pole surrounded by funny little elves who keep tabs on us all and who showers us all with the gift of being extra happy and crafty and thoughtful and loving at Christmas time?  (I would love to believe that he delivers it all from his sleigh led by eight flying reindeer but I might have to think that one through.)

Could I be so childlike again to believe in something that sounds so crazy but makes me so happy?   Can I once again be swept up in the magic of Santa?  I think that I can!

I can accept that Santa isn't coming to eat my cookies and fill my stocking or attempt his way down my chimney.  I can let go of that charade and let gift giving change in my home.  But I can also accept that I don't need to disprove everything magical in the world with logic.  I can let go of needing to see to believe and needing to have answers to all of my "why"s and how"s.

So from this day forward, I do believe there is a Santa.  That is all I need to know.  And I might just leave him a few cookies, just in case.




1 comment: