Friday, December 6, 2013

A $25 Christmas ... Thoughtful and Creative Giving



I decided that this year my husband and I would each have only $25 to spend on each other for Christmas.

The idea came from my larger idea of trying to stop buying any new "stuff" this year.  Our home is full of "stuff" and and I really believe that we can make do with what we have and not add to our expenses or our footprint on this planet.  We have been trying really hard to think a few time before we buy something new.  Do we really need it?  Is there something we already have that we can use instead? Can we re-purpose something else? Can we borrow it?  Because as much as I want them, I do not need more throw pillows or silverware or Christmas balls or pairs of black tights.  I feel that the whole experience has made us more thoughtful and more creative.  So I decided to try it for Christmas.

Let me first tell you that my husband and I LOVE giving each other Christmas gifts.  We each usually come up with a theme and then a bunch of really thoughtful gifts.  One year my theme was "scales" and I got him an antique kitchen scale, a book and gift certificate for rock climbing and a goldfish.  So buying a sweater on the discount rack was out of the question for us.  Our $25 had to really work for us!

For a few weeks I struggled to come up with an idea until I ran across a book on BookMooch that was perfect for him.  I grabbed that. For free.  Then I hit Pinterest and came up with a few ideas to make using things I already have at home ... something I will keep secret until after Christmas, a framed quote, a mug with a symbol painted on it, a piece of art.  I had 5 gifts and still hadn't spent a dime.  I used a 40% off coupon from Barnes and Noble to get an activity book.  And I just bought another little something from a friend's pottery show and one last little trinket on sale at Pier One.  

I love what I got and made.  I love that I re-purposed so many things and am bringing in so much less "stuff" than I have in past years.  I love that I have saved a ton of money.  I love that I got to be really creative and thoughtful.  

I can't wait to show you what I came up with when Christmas is over!


1 comment:

  1. We did this one year, except with $20. I found this fun little pocket synth thing that was modeled from a vintage synth. Very cool. He got me costume jewelry I'll never wear. So it goes. He hates to buy gifts and is often crap at it. Though he's hard to buy for because he only wants specific electronic thingies. So we seldom buy gifts. I haven't suggested we exchange since then. Once we tried to do homemade presents. I made him a table. He made me... nothing. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete