Monday, December 9, 2013

Visual Multiplication Flashcards ... My Fourth Grade Salvation


I have finally found a great tool to help my struggling fourth grader with her multiplication tables.

My daughter is an overall excellent student but each year math becomes more and more of a challenge for her.  This year the big challenge was needing to know her multiplication tables off the top of her head.  It became clear a few months ago that I needed to help her find a way to commit these facts to memory or she was going to fall far behind.  

Whatever they were doing in school to teach the memorization of multiplication tables was not working for her very visual style of learning.  So I searched the internet for something that would help her relate the facts to pictures.  I finally found these great flashcards by Joel Harrison.  Each fact has a picture associated with it that plays on the equation.  Like 8x8 =64 is a checkerboard because it is 8 across by 8 down to give you 64 squares.

I used a few of the flashcards with my daughter each night and I gradually noticed her being able to pull most of the facts right out of her head by remembering what the flashcard looked like.  It was amazing to hear her tell me "ohhh, it's the one with the clocks inside the four number 6's. that's, that's 24!" when I asked her what 4x6 equaled.  

I love when I can find a way to help someone with something they find so challenging!

No comments:

Post a Comment